Thanks for these suggestions. First Robert Zeigler, onValidateForm is exactly
what I needed, also I found the null-safe comparison was important.

Second, your suggest about disabling the submit javascript handler was right
on. The missing piece I put together was that my onValidateForm is always
going to be called but when I added the "onSelectedFromResetButton()"
handler for my reset button, I just did a registrationForm.clearErrors(); to
clear any errors - as after a reset there shouldn't be any errors.

NOW, to help with some future questions: With T3/T4 it was pretty easy to
determine what methods to use for what, just look at the objects I was
extending or implementing and I could see what method to implement or
override to get what functionality. But since T5 uses POJO's, I am left
trying to discover methods like

   onSubmit
   onValidateForm
   onValidateFromPassword
   onSelectedFromResetButton

some of these are intuitive, some are absolutely not. Is there a source that
just talks about for Pages, Services, Forms, Form Buttons, etc. all the
method names (format of method names) Tapestry will try to evoke, their
order, when, etc? Sometimes it seem that the component reference is explicit
on this, often (such as onValidate) it seems the component reference doesn't
mention these at all - or maybe I just am missing something.

Thanks! Loving Tapestry5 so far (when I am not stumped).
Kevin