Thanks Chris,

That worked.
The only thing is that the order of groups in the select is gone.
I know for sure I put them in the correct order in the java jsonObject.
I think the var jsonObject = response.evalJSON(); or the for(var key in jsonObject) messes up the order.
Is there a way to solve this?

For the ones interested, I fill my select box now in this way:

Java Page:
@OnEvent(component = "productSelect", value = "change")
   JSONObject onProductSelectChanged(String value) {
ProductCategory category = ProductCategory.getProductCategoryByName(value);
       groups = characteristicDAO.findGroupsByProductCategory(category);
       JSONObject jsonObject = new JSONObject();
       for (CharacteristicGroup group : groups) {
           Long id = group.getId();
           jsonObject.put(id.toString(), group.getName());
       }
       return jsonObject;
   }

javascript:
function productSelectChanged(response) {
   var groupSelect = $('groupSelect');
   clearSelectOption(groupSelect);
var jsonObject = response.evalJSON();
   for(var key in jsonObject) {
       addSelectOption(groupSelect, jsonObject[key], key, false);

Chris Lewis wrote:
Try:

for (var i in object) {}

Where object would be your json object.

Leon Derks wrote:
Hi Sven,

I only see that they get the value by using the key name.
For example this:

|var data = '{ "name": "Violet", "occupation": "character" }'.evalJSON();
data.name; //prints Violet.

But in my case, I don't know the key name, so I can't get the value.
Is there a way to get the key names of a JSON Object?
For example something like this:

data.keys; //returns {name, occupation}|

Leon

Sven Homburg wrote:
http://www.prototypejs.org/learn/json

2008/5/15 Leon Derks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello

I have a  JSON object like this:

JSONObject obj = new JSONObject();

obj.put(entity.getId(), entity.getName());

But how can I get the value from my json object in javascript, if I
don't
know the key name?

Is there a way to get the key name(s) from a json object in javascript?

Leon