Hi Filip,

I use an Transaction Filter where I catch all exceptions (see code part below). But can I use your redirect service in my catch part?
I tried to get it work, but had no success.

public RequestFilter buildTransactionFilter(final EntityManager entityManager, final RedirectService redirectService, final Logger logger) {
       return new RequestFilter() {
           EntityTransaction transaction;

public boolean service(Request request, Response response, RequestHandler handler) throws IOException {
               boolean result = false;
               try {
                   transaction = entityManager.getTransaction();
                   transaction.begin();
                   result = handler.service(request, response);
                   transaction.commit();
               } catch (Exception exception) {
                   logger.error(exception.toString());
                   if (transaction.isActive()) {
                       transaction.rollback();
                   }
                   result = false;
                   redirectService.sendRedirect(Error.class, false);
               } finally {
                   entityManager.close();
               }
               return result;
           }
       };
   }

Filip S. Adamsen wrote:
Hi Leon,

How to override server error pages depends on what server you're using. As far as I'm aware it's unfortunately not possible to use Tapestry pages as server error pages - if I'm wrong here, I'd really like to know how to do it. :)

What I mean by turning the RequestExceptionHandler into a pipeline is that I've overridden the original service with my own that uses a pipeline.
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/pipeline.html

So I define my filter:

  public interface RequestExceptionFilter {

void handleRequestException(Throwable exception, RequestExceptionHandler handler)
        throws IOException;
  }

Then I create a new RequestExceptionHandler as a pipeline:

public static RequestExceptionHandler buildImprovedRequestExceptionHandler(
      List<RequestExceptionFilter> configuration,
@InjectService("RequestExceptionHandler") RequestExceptionHandler requestExceptionHandler,
      PipelineBuilder builder,
      Logger logger
  ) {
    return builder.build(
        logger,
        RequestExceptionHandler.class,
        RequestExceptionFilter.class,
        configuration,
        requestExceptionHandler
    );
  }

I then contribute this to AliasOverrides to replace the default RequestExceptionHandler:

  public static void contributeAliasOverrides(
      Configuration<AliasContribution> configuration,
@InjectService("ImprovedRequestExceptionHandler") RequestExceptionHandler requestExceptionHandler
  ) {

configuration.add(AliasContribution.create(RequestExceptionHandler.class, requestExceptionHandler));
  }

I can then contribute filters to the pipeline like this:

  public static void contributeImprovedRequestExceptionHandler(
      OrderedConfiguration<RequestExceptionFilter> configuration,
      RequestExceptionErrorFilter requestExceptionErrorFilter
  ) {
    configuration.add("Error", requestExceptionErrorFilter);
  }

Where RequestExceptionErrorFilter looks like this:

  public class RequestExceptionErrorFilter
      implements RequestExceptionFilter {

    private final RedirectService redirectService;
    private final SecurityService securityService;
    private final Logger logger;

public RequestExceptionErrorFilter(RedirectService redirectService, SecurityService securityService, Logger logger) {
      this.redirectService = redirectService;
      this.securityService = securityService;
      this.logger = logger;
    }

public void handleRequestException(Throwable exception, RequestExceptionHandler handler)
        throws IOException {
      if (securityService.isProductionModeEnabled()) {
        logger.error("Exception during request", exception);
        redirectService.sendRedirect(ErrorIndex.class, false);
      }
      else {
        handler.handleRequestException(exception);

RedirectService and SecurityService are my own classes. They just make some things easier for me. As you can see I show an error page when I'm in production but invoke the next filter in the pipeline if I'm not. You could contribute more filters if needed.

I've been wanting to contribute a strategy filter before this one allowing to do different things depending on the type of exception thrown, but haven't had the time nor need to do so yet.

http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/strategy.html

Anyhow, hope this helps - if not, you know where to ask. :)

-Filip