Here's a question.  I'm still struggling with getting Tapestry to do
the right encoding when producing output, and to set the response
encoding to the correct value before reading query parameters.

There's lots of edge cases, related to Ajax, to form uploads, and to
complex components, such as BeanEditForm, where content may be
gathered from multiple pages.

What if there was just a single default application character set,
which would default to UTF-8?  This is pretty much what people are
doing with the UTF-8 RequestHandler filter.

This would simplify a bunch of stuff, since output encoding would
always be the same, as would request encoding.  We could get rid of
the some of the meta-data as well.

Is UTF-8 sufficiently well supported by browsers?  Is this an option
that works for Big5 Chinese and other non-Western language locales?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship