Well, it's not like we're pushing a bytestream from the web browser to
the database, or vice-versa.  Everything is being read into memory as
UTF, whether it starts as UTF-8 in the browser, or ISO-8859-1 in the
database.  As its read from one source or written to another, the
character set is going to change.

My observation is that the current design; allowing every page to have
its own charset, is beginning to feel like overkill, especially given
that the solution has a number of frayed edges.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Massimo Lusetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Here's a question.  I'm still struggling with getting Tapestry to do
>> the right encoding when producing output, and to set the response
>> encoding to the correct value before reading query parameters.
>>
>> There's lots of edge cases, related to Ajax, to form uploads, and to
>> complex components, such as BeanEditForm, where content may be
>> gathered from multiple pages.
>>
>> What if there was just a single default application character set,
>> which would default to UTF-8?  This is pretty much what people are
>> doing with the UTF-8 RequestHandler filter.
>>
>> This would simplify a bunch of stuff, since output encoding would
>> always be the same, as would request encoding.  We could get rid of
>> the some of the meta-data as well.
>>
>> Is UTF-8 sufficiently well supported by browsers?  Is this an option
>> that works for Big5 Chinese and other non-Western language locales?
>
> Howard, how this would fit with existing DB and/or other data sources
> (files for example) already encoded as ISO-8859-1 ?
>

> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship