It is certainly an interesting idea.

I think HIbernate follows a similar approach; they have a Wiki
(Confluence, perhaps) and they "scrape" it to get the packaged
documentation.

We could look into running a more involved Wiki, perhaps from
tapestry.formos.com.  Confluence would be reasonable, as I can get an
open-source project license for any of the Atlassian products.

The problem with this is oversight; writing a book in any format
consists of a lot of dull work.  In an open community its hard to
motivate people, without a direct stake, to do that kind of dull work.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship