Quoting Hugo Palma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

You have two ways of setting the currUser DAO:

1. Copy fields from one object to another.
Just add this to your code:

currUser.setUsername(user.getUsername);
currUser.setPassword(user.getPassword);

You don't have to assign the currUser field. That will the done for you
by Tapestry.

2. Declare the ASO like this:

@ApplicationState(created=false)
private User currUser;

assign the field like this:

currUser = u;

In which case I am getting confused reading this thread because I have not done it that way and it works (unlike that for the OP):

public class Index
{

        @ApplicationState
        private User user;

        Object onSubmitFromLoginForm()
        {
                Class nextPage = null;
User authenticatedUser = Security.getSecurity().authenticate(userName, password, session);

                if (authenticatedUser != null)
                {

                        if (authenticatedUser.getRole() == User.Role.admin)
                        {
                                nextPage = Administration.class;
                        }

                        else
                        {
                                nextPage = UserAdministration.class;
                        }

                        user= authenticatedUser;

                }
                else

So why does this work? Or am I getting myself confused - to me it looks like my code and that of the OP work in the same way, and yet I can see why it shouldn't work...