I think a character in Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Cat's Cradle has a fair bit of
advice on indexing your own book (she says "never").

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Kotchnev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 September 2008 05:35
To: Tapestry users
Subject: Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - (Index & Appendices)

I know from experience that creating a good index is just a lot of
grueling
work . I really haven't given much thought to the topic, as it seems
that
it's quite far away in the future.

Also, not to diminish the importance of the index; however, at this
point,
it is not very clear exactly what the printing options for the book are
going to be (e.g. purchase on lulu, print a pdf on your own), and it's
not
even a "proper" technical book yet (e.g. no publisher or anything like
that). So, once again, the index is very much in the future.

Cheers,

Alex Kotchnev

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 9:22 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know this is very early in the piece, but what do you intend to do
about
> indexing the book?
>
> The Kolesnikov Tapestry book has one of the worst indexes I've ever
come
> across and stands as a good example of how not to do it.
>
> Having a good index is a very important part of any successful
technical
> book. Indexing a book well is a non-trivial matter and shouldn't just
be a
> last minute thought.
>
> I'd also suggest a good set of Appendices - one, at least, should list
the
> components and what parameters they take.
>
> Anyway, something to think about.
>
> p.
>

> Quoting Alex Kotchnev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>  I've created a new project for the proposed book at
>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestry5-book , and posted the proposed
table
>> of
>> contents at
>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestry5-book/wiki/ProposedTableOfContents
.
>> Now
>> that I'm looking at it, it's a little disappointing as the TOC
doesn't
>> really have anything new in it (e.g. some of it is covered in
tutorials,
>> other is in the project docs, etc). However, I guess that the content
>> really
>> can't be all that different - it's all about building web apps,
covering
>> the
>> same materials as the other documentation. In the end, I think that
the
>> book
>> will be different from the other existing documents based on its
style and
>> breadth of content, and not so much in the topics it covers.
>>
>> Anyway, I would like to create a mailing list and add everyone who
has
>> expressed an interest in contributing to the book. Unfortunately,
Google
>> Code doesn't have mailng lists, so I'll probably have to look around
for
>> that (Nabble, maybe?). Any suggestions would be welcome here.
>>
>> In terms of moving the proposed TOC forward, here are some of my next
>> steps
>> :
>> 1. Attribute the main sections of the project documentation into
possible
>> chapters in the book.
>> 2. Discuss feedback from this list on the content of the proposed TOC
:
>> e.g.
>> any alternative ideas on how to organize the book, changes to the
proposed
>> chapter titles, order, etc.
>>
>> It would be great if there are any volunteers to investigate some of
the
>> issues that were discussed previously in the thread below, I'll
probably
>> post the needed tasks somewhere on the wiki as well.
>>
>> When we get our mailing list set up, I think that individuals or
groups of
>> individuals can claim ownership of each chapter (and thus get "voting
>> rights" on the TOC, chapter layout, further modifications, etc.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex Kotchnev
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Hugo Palma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  inline
>>>
>>> Alex Kotchnev wrote:
>>>
>>>  Would there be any value to having a top-level domain for the book
(e.g.

Also, in
>>> the
>>> future we could probably spend some of the monetary payback to pay
for
>>> the
>>> domain and some hosting solution so that we could include the live
>>> version
>>> of the book application and other cool stuff.
>>> Still, for now i think we can live with a project on some project
hosting
>>> site where we can host the book files and wiki.
>>>
>>>  A note on the potential mode for governing decisions : I was
thinking

>>> We could decide on where to host it and then move the discussion to
the
>>> dedicated list and use its wiki for the outline.
>>>
>>>  On whether the book would cover additional libraries (e.g.
chennilekit,

t5-hibernate,

>>> libraries it will always be incomplete and maybe unfair to some i
think
>>> it
>>> would be important to cover the ones that we consider the most used.
We
>>> could go with a voting process where each one would say the top 2 or
3
>>> third
>>> party libraries in his opinion. The top 2 or 3 would get included in
the
>>> book.
>>>
>>>  Cheers,

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>