Von: Francois Armand [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Fr 10.10.2008 10:56
An: Tapestry users
Betreff: [T5] What is your missing feature / bloking bug before 5.0 ?

Ok, so we reach the point where T5.0 final is imminent, and we are all
(I think) really happy of that.
As we also want that T5 really makes its way in the Java Web ecosystem,
I think it always miss some really little things that are really
important for a .0 release.

I purpose to start this discussion in the ml, and when some major gap
emerge, to post them in the issue tracker, and vote for them.

So, for me, what I expect for 5.0 :
1/ - full and complete and rather simple internationalization : I really
believe that a web framework can ignore other language and culture
(date, number) today ;
     that include validator translation and stuff like that.
2/ - valid XHTML, even for IE, by default. The workaround is here for
some time, but why it's not default ? See
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5HowToXhtml
3/ - something around AJAX documentation and Zone update inside a form
(that includes update of part of a form on change from a select :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-138)
4/- a property symbol provider, also simple and in use almost always
@see
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5HowToReadSymbolsFromPropertiesFile

Without 1, T5 just can't get is path easely outside English contries ;
Without 2, T5 can hardly be considered top-level (even if on the
technical point of vue, it's completly rigth and it's IE fault), without
3, AJAX seems not so well integrated, and it's hot stuff todays, and 4
is so much common in a application, why do we have to bother with that
each time ?

Other simple stuff that should be corrected before 5.0 (in my opinion) :
- why hidden field is still missing ? It's so easy to add, a new user
should not even have to search for that !
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-257, that seems to bring
other pb with decorator and the like ;

What do you thing about that ? Does it make sense to open a "community
want that" bug, that have to be quick to handle, but that brings the
attention of T5 developers on what we need ? Perhaps we can already vote
for existing bugs ? Which ones ?

--
Francois Armand
Etudes & Développements J2EE