+1 to that.  I have also been using the src/main/resources dir since cutting
my teeth with Maven and T5.  The Tapestry related directories there mirror
the packages under src/main/java, for both page classes and component
classes.
In eclipse the src/main/java and src/main/resources are both listed as
"source directories", so the tml files will get copied out to the same
location as the .class files.  (I think this works just using the Eclipse
java builder, and may not even need the maven builder)

The Loom plugin for Eclipse/T5 supports this structure.