Are you using Tapestry 5.0.18 or 5.1.0.0-SNAPSHOT?  I've added some
considerable performance improvements to 5.1.

I would get a copy of YourKit and start profiling to see where the
actual problems are.

Tapestry takes a hit because it renders the entire document to a kind
of light-weight DOM before it can start to stream the output; that's a
lot of churn in the JVM's eden heap space.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<thiag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Em Thu, 15 Jan 2009 23:19:56 -0300, Fernando Padilla <f...@alum.mit.edu>
> escreveu:
>
>> The database was just upgraded and io/cpu is really really low.  So that
>> won't be the case.
>
> I would still check this out . . . Don't forget about one transaction
> waiting for others to release locks in table rows . . .
>
>> The root cause might be the number of db requests required to render a
>> page, but the database it self is not the bottle neck. :) :)
>
> A real case I found as a consultant was the lack of attention to Hibernate
> mapping options, specially regarding lazy loading of collections. Instead of
> using one or two selects to load an entity object and one of its lists, it
> was using one for each element in the list. This absolutely kills
> performance.
>
> By the way, nice performance improvement hunting! :) Don't forget to share
> your experience with us. ;)
>
> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Independent Java consultant, developer, and instructor
> http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Howard M. Lewis Ship