In some ways, a Page is just a Component that has no parent. I'm not 100% sure why they're separated, except that it's a historical artifact. Components (and pages being a special-case component) are a piece of java software that renders itself (usually as tags and possibly with a body, which may contain the renderings of other components.) It's quite different than tag-libs. Taglibs get turned into generated code that executes with other JSP code. Components don't generate code, they are live objects with life-cycles that respond to events, just like a swing or Mac-OS Cocoa component. JSP's code gets turned into a very very long execute() method on a servlet, so there's lots of entanglement. There was a good article on this in the t5 docs, but I can't remember which one.

Christian.