> I don't understand when I would use a Component and what they are for.

Typically a web-application is built from a number of pages. And each page
is different.

Many elements on the pages will be the same or similar though. For those
elements it is usually wise to create a separate component and then use it
on all pages that should show that element.

This way you have a single block of code to test and when you need to make
changes you can do it in a single place and all pages that use that
component will be updated at once.

in that regard it is a little bit like a taglib, but better and much, much
easier to create yourself.

regards,

Onno