The second issue can be solved with css and the white-space property:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-white-space

The first issue is probably because you are escaping the <br> elements. I don't know how you turn that off for a property in Tapestry by heart but it should be quite easy to find in the reference.