Occasionally, I'll have a data object that stores a reference to
service.  Here's an example:

public class ActiveUser extends BaseOptimizedSessionPersistedObject
{
    private long userId;

    private final Session session;

    public ActiveUser(Session session)
    {
        this.session = session;
    }

    public long getUserId()
    {
        return userId;
    }

    public void setUserId(long userId)
    {
        markDirty();

        this.userId = userId;
    }

    public User getUser()
    {
        return userId == 0 ? null : (User) session.get(User.class, userId);
    }

    @Override
    public String toString()
    {
        return String.format("ActiveUser[userId=%d, session=%s]",
userId, session);

This is an ApplicationStateObject, so it persists in the HttpSession,
but it uses the Hibernate Session as well.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Dude.Checkitout
<dude.checkit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Howard.
>
> We have few Tapestry applications running in the same server. (and planning
> to have more)
> I am assuming it is going to cause issues based on your reply. What is the
> best way to avoid this issue?
>
> Just curious, at what point does a service(/proxy) gets
> serialized/de-serialized? I am getting this error only when I have more then
> one tapestry application and when the second webapp gets loaded...
>

> Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>>
>> If you have only one Tapestry application, you can safely ignore this
>> warning.
>>
>> It's related to the code that allows services to be serialized (that
>> is, the service proxies are serializable even though the services
>> themselves are not). When a service is de-serialized, there's a static
>> variable used to identify the active Registry to connect to.  It's
>> ugly, but the Servlet API does not address this issue and so we are
>> left with this kludge.
>>
>> If you have only one Tapestry application deployed in your server, or
>> you never serialize a service proxy (the latter being a rather rare
>> occurance) then you can ignore the warnings.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Dude.Checkitout
>> <dude.checkit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Getting the following error when refreshing/redeploying the web
>>> application
>>> in JBoss. "[org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.internal.SerializationSupport]
>>> Setting
>>> a new service proxy provider when there's already an existing provider.
>>> This
>>> may indicate that you have multiple IoC Registries."
>>>
>>> For maintenance reasons, all the tapestry jar files are kept out of
>>> WEB-INF/lib folder and kept in JBoss loadable folders. Each time the web
>>> app
>>> reloads, above error is written into the log file. But the webapp is
>>> loaded
>>> and "looks" fine.
>>>
>>> We are observing some strange behavior about the service configurations
>>> and
>>> wondering whether this error could be the cause of those?
>>> Can anyone help understand this error? What part of tapestry is affected
>>> by
>>> this error?
>>>
>>> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/serialization.html
>>> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/serialization.html   -
>>> talks about this error but does not say how to solve it or the effect of
>>> this error on the Tapestry behavior
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

Howard M. Lewis Ship