There's been a lot of discussion on blogs lately about the merits of
Prototype vs. jQuery.

http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2009/01/comparing-prototype-and-jquery.html

I've added an issue to JIRA to discuss this.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-486

Basically, a rewrite of tapestry.js from Prototype to jQuery should
insulate most users from the changes. Advanced users who have written
their own javascript components may need to add an annotation or a
configuration value for compatiblity after upgrading.

I may start experimenting with this in a branch.

I've noticed that many of the more interesting public sites using
Tapestry are already using jQuery as well ... thus this shift
represents addresing the core concern of performance (having to
download and use just one JavaScript library, not two).

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship