On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 3:34 AM,  <farm...@linagora.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Further, on a page that loads slowly (one that has a large number of
>> external scripts, is accessed via a slow-bandwidth pipe, or has a
>> very complex layout), this means that JavaScript event handlers are
>> not wired up until all JavaScript has been downloaded and parsed.  The
>> end result it that you can "outrace" Tapestry, click a link that
>> should update a zone and get incorrect behavior or even a runtime
>> exception. I actually see this when using Formo's time-tracking
>> application from home through a slow pipe, exacerbated by HTTPS, where
>> I get the error that "Block is not a valid response type". What should
>> have been an Ajax request was processed instead as a traditional page
>> render request, because the JavaScript was not ready.
>
> For this problem, doesn't the solution is server side ?
> I mean, if the (non-XHR) request return a Block, it's an error in T5, and
> all in all, there is no gracefull degradation. The server code should
> always distinguish between XHR events and normal requests, and return
> accordingly.

Technically, that can be determined via the Request.isXHR() method.

However, by then the horse has left the barn; in the "race" scenario,
the user has clicked the link and initiated a full-page render even
though the application developer had intended a partial render. The
goal of the changes I'm outlining is to remove this "race" condition.

> Or perhaps it's a case of leaky abstraction : event handlers for normal
> requests and for XHR one's might be actually different beasts (onXhrAction
> / onAction ).
>
> I remember that there was several threads on that subject, especially this
> one : http://markmail.org/thread/ho3nla6eciyupcah
>
> Francois

Howard M. Lewis Ship