I have now filed a JIRA issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-643)
- it seems that PageTester is using the application module defined in web.xml
which is causing issues for me because of some dispatchers which will not work
without external servers or the real request/response (inc. cookies) stuff.

We use PageTester to unit test the rendering of pages & components - trying to
be dependent on as little else as possible. Please vote if this is affecting
you too.