>What can I do to get the old behaviour back?
Since you are using 5.0.18 you need to do nothing, this change is for 5.1.

This is the correct behavior, as scripts should almost always be placed at the
top, read this:
http://www.quirksmode.org/js/placejs.html (especially the last paragraph)

Tapestry followed Yahoo's performance guidelines to place scripts at the bottom
of pages, personally I never agreed with this approach, as there is no a *real
performance increase, only a perceived one. The short explanation is that a
page renders but scripts are still being parsed so handlers are not wired
causing a number of quirks if the user interacts with the page before it is
ready.

Peter