> Hi,
> your understanding is correct, photos are under protected folders. and the
> scaling will be a problem, but do you think it is good to store photo in
> the
> database's blob field? and every rendering requires copying from database
> a temporary file?

You can spool the data from a BLOB straight back to the client without
having to store it in a file first. You don't even need to fully load it
into memory. Im using Hibernate + PostgreSQL in my projects. Here's a short
example of a StreamResponse that returns a binary stream from a Blob.

   public InputStream getStream() throws IOException {
      [...]
      Blob blob = // SOME_RECORD.getData();
      if(blob == null) {
         [...]
      }
      try {
         return blob.getBinaryStream();
      } catch (SQLException e) {
         [...]

Storing binary data in blobs makes a lot of things easier and we've never
had any problems with it so far. You can always setup a database replication
scheme to increase the database performance if you have an awful lot of
visitors.

regards,

Onno