On Jun 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

Em Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:29:05 -0300, Norman Franke <nor...@myasd.com> escreveu:

Once you get it working for a project, it generally works. It's the starting of new projects where problems arise. I've had to purge my .m2 directly countless times. Just yesterday, while adding tapestry5-acegi support, Maven decided to use Tapestry 5.1.0.5 with Tapestry Annotations 5.0.x, leading to all sorts of problems.

Tapestry-Acegi was abondoned some time ago in favor of Tapestry- Spring-Security. Thus, I guess Tapestry-Acegi has a explicit dependency in tapestry-core or tapestry5-annotations 5.0.18, causing the version mismatch.

From googling, it seems a major problem with Maven is that your build environment is now dependent on rules on potentially dozens of other sites.

IMHO, it's an exageration. It all dependends on the repositores you use. They are the central one and the ones included by used projects' pom.xml files. A build would be more irreproducible if repositories had duplicate projects inside them, but besides the central and the Ibiblio one, repositories tend to have only their own projects.

This makes reproducibility nearly impossible. One slight typo and no one can build.

I don't see how one typo in some repository would lead to a situation where no one can build.

Screw up a dependency or something. I keep reading about it via google searches, so it's not that uncommon.

I think this is a major hit to developer productivity. Sort of, "gee, it worked last week and I didn't touch anything."

I use Maven for years and this kind of problem you mention only happened a couple times, all them with Maven plugins, not project dependencies. They were solved by just specifiying an explicit version. Anyway, recent Maven development is addressing these issues.

That's good, but not really by main complaint. It was that getting started with T5 development was further complicated by Maven, at least in my case. Removing my .m2 directory solved some problems and I do hope they fix it. But regardless of that, getting started with Tapestry 5.1 needs to be more obvious.

I'm at least glad to hear that it does work well for people, since that's what I have working at present. :)

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com