The ResourceDigestGenerator by default secures files with extension:
.tml and .class. To add more restrictions you'd have to contribute
ResourceDigestGenerator. Something like this:

        public static void
contributeResourceDigestGenerator(Configuration<String> configuration)
{
                configuration.add("properties");
                configuration.add("xml");
        }

However i agree that this should be documented or even created by the
maven archetype. It's something a new user could easily forget with
devastating consequences.