> Your form does not need the Submit component, just an ordinary <input
type="submit"> HTML tag.

Whether I use a component to render a submit button, or use the standard
submit button doesn't change the fact that the form is calling javascript
that doesn't work. The method, Tapestry.waitForPage(event) that is added to
the form onSubmit event is the start of the issue.

from source:
<form name="form" id="form" method="post" action="/alerts/index.form"
onsubmit="javascript:Tapestry.waitForPage(event);">

The offending line in the waitForPage(event) javascript method that never
ends, and therefore stopped the POST event from reaching the server.

var overlay = new Element("div", {'class' : 't-dialog-overlay'});

I cannot give you the file as it is a virtual asset of T5.1, but the line is
5590 of that file. :)

>A checkbox needs to be bound to a boolean property, and you're tring to
bind it to an Item.

I apologise, I should have included my bean class, Item. (see below) As you
can see I have a boolean field for each checkbox and a String field for each
name within the loop.

If the loop isn't configured to be volatile submitting the form via a simple
this.form.submit call (I can't use a submit button due to the issues already
stated) I get "Could not find a coercion from type java.lang.String to type
Item"

Can anyone explain why changing the loop to volatile changes this behavior.
And what string T5 is trying to coerce into Item?  If it is the false/true
string from the checkbox, how would/should I normally handle such coercions.

Item.class
public class Item implements Serializable {
  private String name = "";
  private boolean toBeDeleted;
  public Item() {
      this.toBeDeleted = false;
  }
  public Item(String name) {
      this();
      this.name = name;
  }
  public String getName() {
      return name;
  }
  public void setName(String name) {
      this.name = name;
   }
   public boolean isToBeDeleted() {
      return toBeDeleted;
  }
  public void setToBeDeleted(boolean toBeDeleted) {
      this.toBeDeleted = toBeDeleted;
  }
  @Override
  public boolean equals(Object obj) {
      return EqualsBuilder.reflectionEquals(this, obj);
  }
  @Override
  public int hashCode() {
      return HashCodeBuilder.reflectionHashCode(this);