Apologies if this is obvious, but I'm getting confused over how and
where onValidateForm() should be used. I have a page with search fields
in a form and also a grid for the results.

Currently I have:

      public void onValidateForm()

      {

            if (title == null && issn == null)

            {

                  searchHoldingsForm.recordError("Please provide a value
for Title or ISSN");

      public void onSubmitFromSearchHoldingsForm()

      {

            // perform database access using the form fields...

However, the onSubmit...() will be called even if there is an error. Ok,
I could use a Boolean and set it in onValidate() and then bail out in
onSubmit...() if there is an error. Or I suppose I could dispense with
onValidateForm() altogether and set the error messages directly in
onSubmit...()  Or perhaps I should keep onValidateForm() and do the DB
stuff in onSuccess()?

What is the correct way to proceed and why?