Em Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:59:47 -0200, Gerald Bauer <gtat...@gmail.com> escreveu:

Lutz,

Hi!

Having seen some discussions in the past about the history of Tapestry, I'm wondering what the status of Tapestry with CDI support will be. In other
words, is it again going to result a new major release incompatible with
previous versions? I think CDI in it's current form, if should be supported,
would require some fundamental changes to the core of Tapestry's IoC that
would definitely result in API break. At least the Spring guys also say so about their framework.

Tapestry-IoC's public API is very, very small, so I don't think an API break is necessary at all for CDI support.
My classes are Tapestry-IoC services and they have no dependency on it.
AFAIK, all it needs to implement CDI is to keep the current semantics and change to CDI's when CDI's @Inject annotation is found.

My proposition is why not let Tapestry and Wicket join hands, migrate some of the nice ideas to Wicket and lets try to go standardize Wicket as a JSR.

That wouldn't work. Wicket and Tapestry share many concepts, but the approach to implement them is radically different. I don't think another JSR concerning web frameworks would be accepted. I also think that JSRs work better for lower level issues (transaction management, object-relational mapping). Anyway, I love the idea of competition: we have many different Web frameworks with many different approaches, with many of them bringing some nice inovations that can be added to the others. Diversity is a very good thing. :)

By the way, why don't we standardize Tapestry instead of Wicket? ;)

Again, I know this is a controversial proposition that might result in some immature ones labeling and calling me names, as I've seen in the archives.

We had some unbelievably annoying trolls in the past, almost all of them Wicket users, so there was a precedent here. If you're not a troll, welcome to the list. :)

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer, and instructor Owner, software architect and developer, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.