Indeed, if you let the app go cold, you will quickly spend a large amount of
your GAE free quota on starting up the app (in addition to having a really
slow load of the first page).

I have a cron task on a separate box that wget-s the whole site every 3
seconds. This ends up eating up about 20% of my free quota every day;
however, it keeps GAE from swapping it out and having to cold start the app
(which, would have still easily eaten 20% of my free CPU quota anyway). Not
to mention, that when the app is not swapped out, there's no real penalty
"on first load".

Not the perfect solution but it works.

Regards,

Alex K