Yeah, you hit it. We are using jQuery, as you suggested.

So, as I understand:

 - jQuery.noConflict() not working in IE8 (wo compatible mode)
 - the workaround is to enable compatible mode
 - IE8 and Javascript is to be considered broken

I think that, by adding the last four links, you suggest that I replace scriptaculouos and prototype? Like Onno did and described in his blog? If so: I would not role my own tapestry.js (and keep it upd to date with Tapestrys evolution) and replae both js-libraries in order to solve this problem. That seems just like a bit too much for me. And, I would replace them with jquery, just like Onno. And if I did so, jQuery.noConflict() then would stil not work in IE8 without compatible mode...

Thanks,
Andy

I think that this does not apply here, because the prototype version used by tapestry is more recent than the one mentioned. And I also tried the most recent prototype release.

http://ajaxian.com/archives/x-ua-compatible-ieemulateie7

boils down to: IE8 sucks even more than IE7

http://www.evotech.net/blog/2009/03/ie8-css-support/

boils down to: IE8 sucks even more than IE7

http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/template/TplServlet.jtp?tpl=search-page&node=2375125&query=IE+8

Yeah, I have seen this thread before, but did not realize that it is related.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2830510/jquery-noconflict-not-working-in-ie8-only

boils down to: IE8 sucks even more than IE7

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204998

boils down to: IE8 sucks even more than IE7

http://piraya-blog.blogspot.com/2009/06/removing-prototype-from-tapestry-part-3.html

== http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5ModuleRegistry
== http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5OpensourceApps
== http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5HowTos