So you start with two files:

style.css:

   BODY { background: url(dizzydots.gif); }

These start in the same folder (perhaps src/main/webapp).

Now, these two files, under the scheme you propose, end up looking
with the following URLs:

/assets/25ea1900f125e2e136d4/style.css
/assets/0aa5f29fc5f8a0150e61/dizzydots.gif

You can see how the relative url gets broken; it would have to be
url(../0aa5f29fc5f8a0150e61/dizzydots.gif).

What we may see in a later release of Tapestry is some smarts that
knows how to parse .css files and rework relative URLs.  Dan Adams has
done something like this at iFactory ... part of an internal extension
that allows for CSS aggregation (as well as JavaScript aggregation).

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM, LLTYK <ll...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Does putting it in the filename instead of the "directory" also have caveats?

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com