Another good reason to not do this is if the server that was being reported to dies or malfunctions, it could prevent startup or otherwise cause problems. I've had similar problems with the XML libraries doing validation to DTDs that don't exist anymore due to domain name registration issues.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com