Not sure exactly what you are responding to, but..

to automatically commit from your DAO methods check out the section about Committing Changes and the @CommitAfter annotation on this page: http://tapestry.formos.com/nightly/tapestry5/tapestry-hibernate/userguide.html

You should be able to use @CommitAfter to automatically commit Transactions in your DAO methods, and it will rollback Transactions when the DAO method throws a runtime exception.

As for HibernateSessionManager and Session object, I believe it would be the better strategy to use the HibernateSessionManager to manage your Hibernate Session and Transaction objects. This is what the Tapestry-Hibernate module is using, so you'll be better off getting the Session from it, and using its commit(), abort(), etc methods (if you don't use the @CommitAfter annotation) to allow it to manage the Transaction for you.

Hope that helps,
Rich