I have to agree with you Paul Stanton.
A forum instead of the users list would probably give tapestry a better
reception from new users that do not like or do not know how to use a
mailing list.

The main problems with the mailing list (in my opinion) are that:
*If a new user wants to know what is happening in the tapesty project, (s)he
has to locate the mailing list archives (and I can only see the users list
mentioned on the bottom of the getting started page. What about the dev
lists?).

*If (s)he wants to as a question or get updates, mailing list are even
worse. Most users will know how to register on a forum, but registering for
a mailing list? This is something most people haven't done in several years
(or it will be a new experience for people). If the user manages to register
and still wants to as a question to the tapestry-user list, (s)he will have
to locate the users@tapestry.apache.org address and send a mail to this.

My opinion is that there should be a forum instead of the "users" list while
the access to the dev list should be described in detail on this forum.

Since I guess we will continue using the mailing lists, maybe someone with
write access could create a "Get help" page describing how to use the
mailing lists.
This page should at least include:
*Browsing the archives
*Subscribing to a list