Hmm...

The id needs to be put back, but before we add a symbol to allow it to
be optionally removed I'd like to make sure that Howard (and anyone
else) really needed it removed and it wasn't just some house cleaning.
I imagine if it was really a number of bytes issue then more than just
the label could be optimized and a markup filter like Robert suggested
is more appropriate...

Josh