> I can't believe that nobody knows the solution or even a hint for this
> issue...

I don't believe you are running into a problem with Tapestry. I'm
suggesting a proxy for debugging your http communication with the
server, that is a pretty strong hint at how to track down your
problem. You are probably sending something different during your
tests than in your web app.

Have you considered talking to OpenStreetMap support?

You said: "When I wrote the unit tests I didn't need to use credentials"

Do you mean your unit tests don't need to pass username/password but
you do in Tapestry? That sounds fishy.

Josh