It seems unlikely that this is a Tapestry issue.  Best I can tell you
are saying  that when you run your unit tests you can connect, but
when you try to do it from withint a Tapestry (Page?) it gives you an
error.

As a test, I'd suggest that you copy the code from the unit test and
stick it in a Tapestry page.  Basically see if you can get the unit
test code to work in the page's .java file.  If that works then you
know the problem isn't with Tapestry and you can modify your unit test
code to do whatever you want to do.

If it doesn't work in Tapestry, then I'd try to make sure your
environment is as close to the environment as what you are running the
unit tests in.  For example, if you are running the unit test from
maven, then launch jetty from maven as well, etc.

Mark