Thanks for the suggestion, Igor.
I made up this use case just to keep it very simple.
My real question is still the following: is it possible to extend Select (or any other tapestry-core component that extends AbstractField)?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Drobiazko" <igor.drobia...@gmail.com>

There is no need to extend the Select component for your use case. Just
create an instance of EnumSelectModel [1] and pass it to the Select
component.

[1]
http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/util/EnumSelectModel.html