On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Adam Zimowski <zimowsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When we were looking at your course Howard, seemed perfectly fit,
> covering all basics of the framework, very well. Therefore, not much
> to comment on your question IMO since it's hard to improve something
> already very good.

Wel, thanks!

> However, I see a lot of value in offering an advanced course, focusing
> mostly around IOC container, analyzing and explaining Tapestry source
> code. Debugging the framework, and implementing advanced concepts,
> such composition over inheritance, custom annotations, etc etc....

You can imagine how difficult it is to devise examples that make
sense, are encapsulated enough to be used in a lab or otherwise
understood, but still represent the kinds of things that real
applications require.  I do go into quite a bit of detail on Tapestry
internals (in the final session, which is not lab based), including
all the request processing pipelines.

Some of these things are better handled, I think, as custom mentoring
sessions rather than my attempt at a one-size-fits-all course.

> Good example of practical material for such advanced course would be
> recent examples from Taha's blog.
>
> Adam
>
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well ... based on these comments, I don't need to change a thing :-)
>>
>> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Joost Schouten (ml)
>> <joost...@jsportal.com> wrote:
>>>  In my early days I would have liked someone to have emphasized:
>>>
>>> - onActivate and onPassivate so I would have stuffed less into my sessions.
>>> - How components can interact with their containers and @Environmental
>>> services. I initially ended up building components that needed to know too
>>> much about their containers.
>>> - the power of Block's and how they are great for passing as parameters and
>>> page/component buildups. How they can elminiate the need for template t:if
>>> tags when used with delegate's
>>> - And how easy it is to build a @Inject'able tapestry service to wrap your
>>> legacy code. A new user might be a bit put off when confronted with
>>> tapestry-hibernate, tapestry-security if they already have all this in place
>>> in spring or something else.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>> Joost

>> --