I put it back into the src/main/resources line of .classpath, like:

    <classpathentry excluding="**" kind="src" output="target/classes"
path="src/main/resources"/>

My templates are being copied to the expected place, like ...
target\classes\com\companyname\appname\pages\PageName.tml.

Maybe there's something else amiss with your maven/build configuration.
Does your pom.xml have the <resources> section?  Maybe compare your
configuration with a small new one like the Tapestry quickstart.