> Couldn't Tapestry have some function that adds ordered event handlers to
> elements, something like the Command design pattern?

Sure. A dispatcher could be created that holds the handlers and calls
them in some defined order (insertion, before:xxx, etc)

JQuery appears to at least provide a stable order for events
registered with bind.
"If there are multiple handlers registered, they will always execute
in the order in which they were bound."
http://api.jquery.com/bind/

Josh