Yes, this is the old question of keeping the ecosystem as pure as possible.
I don't think it matters as much where it is hosted (apache etc)
it could very well be hosted on github,
but there should be only one place, one list, perhaps with subsections,
and the voting idea is also a good one to get on that list,
but it should be number one result in google :)