If I understand correctly you want the URL in browser to change.
PageRenderLinkTransformer.decodePageRenderRequest() is used for cases where
you want to override the way tapestry decodes a URL. It might be because you
want to use a different URL pattern or you have a generic url that you want
to map to a tapestry page. So this is a decoding of URL NOT a
redirection(which results in a URL change in browser)

What you need is a filter at some level of Request Processing
http://tapestry.apache.org/request-processing.html

Typically it is HttpServletRequestFilter or ComponentRequestFilter or
ComponentEventRequestFilter. The decision you have to make is how much
information do you need from tapestry to perform filtering. The lesser you
need, the early you can exit from the request processing pipeline.

regards
Taha