I'm not for anything breaking backward compatibility and I'm not
interesting in Tapestry 6, version 5 is fine by me. I've been using
Tapestry since 3.0 and I've got some Tapestry 4 code and some 5.2
Prototype code now. I'm also running 5.3 with the Tapestry5-jQuery
library.

But

IMHO another abstraction layer is a really bad idea. There is a ton of
documentation on Prototype and jQuery but none on the Tapestry
Javascript abstraction layer.

Secondly like it or not at this point in time jQuery is more popular
that Prototype. I think trying to maintain parity between the jQuery
enhanced components and the Prototype enhanced components would only
serve to limit the number of jQuery components and thus Tapestry
components.

Lastly I think the correct abstraction layer already exists and that's
mixin. I think all the Javascript behavior should be added via mixins.
With that approach it should be easy enough to have a jQuery and a
Prototype project where the mixins add the Javascript functionality
instead of building it into the component. If mixins prove inadequate
for the task then the focus should be on improving them not trying to
create two identical sets of components one with jQuery and the other
with Prototype.

One more thing: You should be able to include both libraries and have
things work. Otherwise I'd say you do have a backward compatibility
problem that will leave the Prototype crowd (me included) orphaned.

This would allow existing users to keep doing what they are doing. It
would also allow them to include jQuery and get additional components
only supported by jQuery and keep using thier existing Prototype code.
It would allow new projects to be jQuery only. Lastly and perhaps most
important it lessens the learning curve to integrate Tapestry and
Javascript because you don't need to learn yet another Javascript
abstraction layer that runs on top of yet another Javascript
abstraction layer.