1.  Removing @Persist breaks the input form - as designed - not using
beaneditor, beaneditform.
2.  Changing the person field breaks the grid - again, as designed -
workaround being context=0.
3.  I have removed the onActivate, OnPassivate - easy.

As I see it the app is hanging together, no errors.  Just not done the
proper way.

Could I trouble you with Step 23 of the blog?  Download the source, make the
changes, test and post back?  May be the there should separate component,
templates?

I WILL post any code from you (Lance), Thiago et. al, that actually
works...out of respect for the fact that you know Tapestry better.