I may of answered some of my question, I changed my jetty pom configuration
to this.

            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
                <artifactId>maven-jetty-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>6.1.26</version>
                <configuration>
                    <requestLog
implementation="org.mortbay.jetty.NCSARequestLog">
                        <append>true</append>
                    </requestLog>
                    <useTestClasspath>true</useTestClasspath>

<webAppSourceDirectory>src/main/webapp</webAppSourceDirectory>
                    <stopKey>stop</stopKey>
                    <stopPort>8889</stopPort>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

using "useTestClassPath" which seems to work.

Still have a couple questions though, normally when I just type in localhost
in the browser, it will automatically bring up a url in my browser
redirecting me to the main page. This doesn't seem to be happening when
using testclasspath. Perhaps I'm missing something in my configuration.

I'm also still wondering what your best practice is for testing without
doing a form submission with a db commit, or is this something you recommend
doing when your not in prod mode.