I was able to resolve everything on my own. I was looking at the source to
tap-jquery which was much more complicating than what I needed. As it turned
out I just needed to add the following code to my build, add a test to my
testPackage, and map it with testng.xml leaving my src intact. Seems to work
perfectly.

<plugin>
    <version>2.6</version>
    <configuration>
        <suiteXmlFiles>
            <suiteXmlFile>src/test/conf/testng.xml</suiteXmlFile>
        </suiteXmlFiles>
    </configuration>
</plugin>