On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM, netdawg <net.d...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been reading some tapestry DAO resources:
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5.1/tapestry-hibernate/userguide.html
> http://tawus.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/tapestry-magic-13-generic-data-access-objects/
> http://www.infoq.com/articles/tapestry5-intro/
> Curious, if there is a standard, established, best-practice,  data access
> object (DAO) pattern or convention?
> 1.  Is there a specific "DAO" package (directory structure for resources)?
> Like there is for "entities", "pages", "components", etc?  Or is pretty much
> free-form?

In Tapestry it's a service. It's pretty typical to have services like
UserService, MyDomainObjectService etc. One thing there's no common
convention is transaction management. I like managing transactions on
the page layer since you can actually do something about it there but
how you want to handle transactions depends on whether your are using
a JavaEE container or spring and your overall architecture etc.

> 2.  I would like the DAOs to be RESTful API...any good examples?  Or is it
> implicit through the page activation context as mentioned in the infoq blog?

You do have to think about the input/output data format if you want to
publish your interface. JAX-RS is the Java standard for REST services
and Tynamo.org provides a pretty handy integration with JBoss'
RESTEasy (an implementation of JAX-RS), see
http://tynamo.org/tapestry-resteasy+guide for more info.

Kalle