Thanks.    OK, I will put interfaces in services.dao and do implementations
in services.dao.hibernateImpl.

In the past (version 1) of the application, I put the transaction logic in
the pages.  But then I have multiple pages potentially using the same logic,
hence the need to separate the core DAO from page, maintain in one place.

 I am  also intrigued by the "generic DAO" concept in the tawus blog, but
fail to see how to implement, so far.    Would be great if this concept, if
I am understanding correctly, could be standardized to pick up directly from
the entities directory for basic CRUD.  And similarly pick up  from, say,
the services.dao.* package, sub-directory for custom queries on the same
entities.  Then, Tapestry could offer a CRUD application out-of-the-box just
by specifying the entities.

May be the "problem" is, indeed, trying to shoehorn the DAO into Tapestry as
a service.   RESTful API can be (should be) application independent, loosely
coupled with the application.   Trade off being you lose the ability to
inject, use activation context etc.