This is why, under Eclispe, I would use the RunJettyRun plugin, which exe
uses Jetty directly off your workspace files and compiled classes. That
works perfectly.

Delegating out to Gradle means that, at best, when Eclipse compiles files,
they are copied to the directory served by Jetty, which only knows to
redeploy the application.