Sorry, I shouldn't have suggested subclassing. The preferred way to extend
and/or override a Tapestry component's functionality is to "wrap" it. If you
can't achieve what you want with wrapping then maybe create your own component
by copying DateField? It might not be much work.

As for your last question, I'll repeat it: "A question to the developers, why
isn't tapestry's components events
bubbled by default ? Performance issues ?".