On Tue, 28 May 2013 09:11:56 -0300, Ryan How <r...@zbit.net.au> wrote:

Yes, but the bytecode enhancement that tapestry does, it wouldn't be able to be understood by the Dalvik JVM? As is my understanding. I just don't want to spend a lot of time getting it set up, then have no possibility of it working :)

Hmm, I forgot about the bytecode enhancement, but I was thinking about running it in a JVM anyway. If you can root an Android installation, you can access the Linux underneath it.

Just to satisfy curiosity :).

Curiosity rules! :)

We have a web app built with tapestry and a mobile app that goes along with it. The mobile app runs offline then syncs with the main app. It shares a lot of code, including the tapestry interface. So it runs it's own tapestry server, and uses an embedded web browser (xulrunner) to connect to it. It was a lot simpler in development doing it this way than re-writing all the user interface for offline support.

Ah, now everything makes sense. :)

But this was before arm tablets were readily available. So we ran it on Windows tablets. But these days a decent rugged windows tablet (doesn't actually exist haha) is about $4000, whereas I can get a galaxy note and a waterproof case for $500 which will do the job.

Interesting. :) Now I'm curious on what the application is. :D

So we are looking at the cheapest way to port it over to android, but I guess an alternative would be linux.

So I guess my next question would be answered: does it need to run or Android specifically or in ARM devices? For Android, I'm not sure, but for ARM devices, the answer is a huge yes. :)

If you need it for Android, I'm almost sure there's some way to precompile the page and components transformations so you could use JVM-bytecode-to-Dalvik bytecode converter, just that it wasn't done yet.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo