On 28/05/2013 8:44 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2013 09:11:56 -0300, Ryan How <r...@zbit.net.au> wrote:

Yes, but the bytecode enhancement that tapestry does, it wouldn't be able to be understood by the Dalvik JVM? As is my understanding. I just don't want to spend a lot of time getting it set up, then have no possibility of it working :)

Hmm, I forgot about the bytecode enhancement, but I was thinking about running it in a JVM anyway. If you can root an Android installation, you can access the Linux underneath it.
True, but it lacks most of the linux core libraries (eg. glibc), so you can't install Java SE Embedded on there, or most other things, without porting it.

Just to satisfy curiosity :).

Curiosity rules! :)

We have a web app built with tapestry and a mobile app that goes along with it. The mobile app runs offline then syncs with the main app. It shares a lot of code, including the tapestry interface. So it runs it's own tapestry server, and uses an embedded web browser (xulrunner) to connect to it. It was a lot simpler in development doing it this way than re-writing all the user interface for offline support.

Ah, now everything makes sense. :)

But this was before arm tablets were readily available. So we ran it on Windows tablets. But these days a decent rugged windows tablet (doesn't actually exist haha) is about $4000, whereas I can get a galaxy note and a waterproof case for $500 which will do the job.

Interesting. :) Now I'm curious on what the application is. :D
Custom built app for a lab that does environmental monitoring. So it isn't widespread, hence why I don't want to spend lots of money :). Usually with custom built software it is the software cost that gets out of control, in this case it is the hardware cost (If we can easily port it over)

So we are looking at the cheapest way to port it over to android, but I guess an alternative would be linux.

So I guess my next question would be answered: does it need to run or Android specifically or in ARM devices? For Android, I'm not sure, but for ARM devices, the answer is a huge yes. :)

If you need it for Android, I'm almost sure there's some way to precompile the page and components transformations so you could use JVM-bytecode-to-Dalvik bytecode converter, just that it wasn't done yet.

Ideally android, because the manufacturers don't usually support anything else for the majority of ARM tablets. But I might try running linux first on an ARM tablet and see how it goes. Might be missing some drivers I suspect. But I can live with that as long wifi and the screen work and battery life remains decent.

Then tapestry modifications can be secondary :)

I guess last off would be to re-write the user interface to not use tapestry, but it works really well at the moment and would cost a bit to rewrite it all. Also then we've have to maintain 2 UIs, one mobile and one for the main system.

Thanks, Ryan